Monday, August 9, 2010

Andre Johnson's Biggest Fans

We all had a really great weekend.  Doug headed to New Braunfels on Thursday night for his annual boys weekend on the river.  As usual they had a blast, although Doug said they seem to be getting old because they would worry about younger kids on the river that didn't have parents around.  They were also up before 8:00am one morning because...well between work and kids your body forgets what it means to sleep in. 

Last minute I thought maybe I'd take the kids on an overnight trip somewhere fun.  I searched but nothing jumped out at me.  So then I decided to have the girls over Friday night when the kids were in bed.  Matt helped me straighten up the house (not kidding...because of him it was spotless).  He was so interested in who was coming over and thought it was strange that we were just going to chat.  We had a blast!  We had chocolate croissants, wine and chocolate martinis!  My last guest left at 2:00am and afterwards we were all just amazed we had stayed up so late!  It was lots of fun. 

I was in bed by 3:00am and then up at 6:00am because last minute we also got tickets to the Texans football training camp!  Practice started at 8:00am and since I was solo with the kids I wanted to get a seat.  Initially I wasn't excited about getting up so early, driving all the way down to the field and sitting for 2 hours in the heat.  But when I mentioned it to Matt he was SO excited.  The whole event was free so I couldn't say no. 

I'm so glad we went!  The seating was so much closer than a real game so we could see and hear everything.  Dad loves Andre Johnson so of course Matt (and Marlie) love him too.  Doesn't hurt that he wears #80, Dad's old high school number.  We cheered loud every time Andre caught the ball.  Matt asked questions the entire 2 hours.  At one point I wanted to so badly to plead ignorant but this was a great opportunity to teach him about the game.  Matt was slightly disappointed when I had to tell him that Tom Brady did not play for the Texans.  I guess he got confused with the blue and red jerseys (he owns a Tom Brady jersey because both Mom and Dad have a slight crush/man crush on him).  Marlie sort of paid attention but was so good the entire 2 hours. 

Matt also asked lots of questions about the cheerleaders.  It was pretty funny.  First it was, "why are the cheerleaders here?".  They were signing their calendars but I just told him they were helping downstairs.  Then "why do they wear such small shirts?  You can see their belly button!".  I told him if they wore big shirts then they couldn't move well and then wouldn't be able to dance.  He replied, "well there shouldn't be dancing.  You should be paying attention to the game."  Of course I agreed with that one.  Then later he said, "Mom are we going to see the cheerleaders again on the way out?".  I laughed and asked if he wanted to see them and then he said "no".  They weren't there when we left.  I'm sure he was disappointed. 

Here are my Texans and some other great shots!  We had so much fun!!
Afterwards I made another last minute decision to take the kids to the cupcake place!  We loved the cupcakes and the kids thought it was so cool that we had our treat before lunch!!
Then I thought we should probably have lunch and it was off to my favorite dive for tacos - El Rey!  It was so good and the kids loved it too.  We crashed when we finally arrived at home.  It was a great day!!

1 comment:

Sarah K - Sentiments by Sarah said...

what fun - you are such a good mom to take your kids to stuff like that. Great pics too! the girls night in sounded so fun, but my run in KW probably went much better by going to bed early. I'm going to be very boring every Friday night for the next 6 months!