Friday, June 13, 2014

Last Day of School

I know I say this every year, but this time I really mean it...I can't believe another year has gone by.  Seems like yesterday it was the first day of school and the kids were excited to find out who was in their class. 

The kids had their awards ceremonies at school.  Last year I didn't know parents were supposed to attend until I picked the kids up from school and Matt asked why I didn't come.  So Doug and I went this year, thank goodness, because ALL the other parents were there!  Anyway...we started in Matt's class...

Matt had some great kids in his class and we really liked his teacher, Mrs. Gommels.  She was very thoughtful about the awards she gave to each child.  I really enjoyed listening to her describe each one and at times I felt like I might cry even though she wasn't talking about Matt!  Mrs. Gommels couldn't find the words to start Matt's without giving it away that she was talking about Matt.  She started by saying "this student is very athletic" and the whole class screamed "Matt" in unison.  I guess it kinda surprised me...he does love sports but there are quite a few other little athletes in her class too. Matt got the Best Athlete award. 
All of the Specials teachers give awards too and these awards are really "special" because they select only one child in the entire grade to receive the award.  Matt got the PE award from Coach A and he was pretty excited. 
Marlie's awards ceremony was equally as delightful but a bit different.  Mrs. Edson selected small groups of kids to give specific awards to.  Doug and I were very proud of Marlie for getting the "Glowing Example" award for always being a good example to others.  She was joined by her sweet friends Patrick, Sydney and Gavin in receiving this award and I'm proud that she was in the same award category as them.  Like Matt, Marlie also received one of the awards from one of the Specials teachers.  Guess which one...Music!  Marlie was SO excited she got the Music award from Ms. Janes.  Marlie we are so proud of you! 
Mrs. Edson also showed a slide show that had a poem written by each child and had the audio of the kids reading their poem.  Then she had another slide show that had a picture of each student with a list of their favorites.  On their desks there was a portfolio of their important work from the year.  And this is why everyone loves Mrs. Edson.  Not only is she a great teacher but she's amazingly organized and creative. 

The girls in this class have had a love/hate relationship all year long! Man there is drama involved with girls even in 1st grade.  But they do all love each other, just not ALL the time. 
When I picked the kids up from school Marlie was crying and Matt was sad.  I surprised them by taking them to Chuy's for lunch with the Pattons followed by a trip to Tutti Fruitti.  That seemed to cheer them up and now it's time for summer!

No comments: