Friday, May 31, 2013

Matt's Guitar Recital

Yes Matt is still working hard learning how to play guitar.  He is really good now at practicing on his own when he comes home from school.  I love listening to him play and he enjoys performing for the family. 

He had his spring guitar recital last night. He's never been completely comfortable but this time he was really nervous.  His first piece was a duo with Mrs. Kristi.  He knows this one well and could probably play it without the music.  He started playing and forgot to repeat a line, then got lost in the music.  You may not be able to tell during the song, but you can see it in his face when he finishes.  I asked him what happened and he said "Mom I was so nervous.  My heart was beating so fast."  Bless his heart.  That feeling is awful! I still get it when I have speak in front of large groups! 
But when he came back out to do his BIG, exciting piece, he did great!  I've heard him play better but he played awesome!  Doug and I sometimes listen to Johnny Cash (we love Walk the Line) so the kids listen too.  When we were in the music store a long time ago, Matt saw a Johnny Cash book and wanted to get it.  I tried to get him to learn Tennessee Flat Top Box but he really wanted to learn Ring of Fire.  Well he did and this is how it sounded...
He wanted to wear his boots and hat which was too cute! I loved every second of his performance!

Matt got the award for being the best site reader...Mrs. Kristi said she can put any sheet of music in front of him and he can start playing.  I think that's really neat (and wish I could do it!).
Matt we are really proud of you!  You have worked so hard at this and have caught on so quickly.  This summer Matt is going to take a break from guitar and will work with Marlie as she starts her guitar lessons.  I hope next time you'll have a video of both of them playing together! Thank you to Mrs. Kristi for being so wonderful and patient with these little ones.  We are looking forward to many more years of lessons and to music camp this summer!

1 comment:

Sarah K - Sentiments by Sarah said...

I am so inspired by Matt's guitar. The girls took lessons for the spring, but weren't interested in really practicing without lots of encouragement so we have stopped for summer - however I love that I can play songs (individual notes) because I can read sheet music. We finally got a used piano yesterday and I'm knocking the rust off my fingers - I'm so excited to have more music in the house.