Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Marlie's Dance Recital!

For those of you who don't know anything about dance recitals, let me try to explain...imagine you are on a baseball team.  You practice all year and have 1 game at the end of the year to show your skills.  Can you imagine how big that game would be?  Welcome to dance recital world!  It's a huge day and in our family it's a REALLY big deal. 

After the recital I had to reflect on 2 things.  How amazing it is that God created us so differently.  And how if you ask him to surround you with great people, he will. 

For those of you who read this blog know Matt and Marlie couldn't be any different.  Matt works so hard at everything.  He gives 100% when no one is looking.  And as a parent, it's such a great feeling because you always know, win or lose, he did his best.  Now Marlie...she is naturally good at almost everything (ok with the exception of gymnastics) but she's typically in the 60-95% effort range and you never know what you're going to get on any given day.  And boy is that frustrating because we know she's good and well because we're used to Matt that just rocks it all the time. 

Marlie is a naturally good dancer.  But she never "shines" during class.  And to get her to practice at home is like herding toddlers. When she asked me to sleep with her the night before the recital I told her that I would the next night IF she did good at her recital.  The next morning she said "Mom why did you say that? You know I'm going to do good."  I wanted to say..."um no really I don't" but I just smiled and said "of course you are!"

When she was 3 she shocked us all by giving us the cutest recital performance ever.  Then last year she did it again.  What I realized after her performance Saturday is that this kid LOVES to perform in front of people! Isn't that crazy?  I was always terrified.  She loves every minute.  You have to watch the video.  I especially like the beginning before the dance starts. She is happy as can be smiling at the crowd with her eyes saying "watch me everyone!"


Marlie dances at a studio owned by Stacey Wilms, who was also her teacher this past year.  She is one of the most angelic women I have ever met.  She is a strong Christian, always trying to raise money for a family in need and just loves these little girls like they are her own.  Oh and she is a fabulous dance teacher too!
I loved that Marlie got to dance with her friends Lauren and Emilie again this year too! And we got to see Lyla perform at the recital and she was adorable!
Big brother missed baseball games to be here and he was so proud of Marlie!  It made Nene's day and Daddy's too.  Rumor is that Daddy has helped "coach" a little at home and even once did a chasse!
But Mom might have been the proudest.  I was so nervous for her that even though it was freezing in the gym I was sweating like I was running in 110 degree weather!  Ok maybe not that much but man...then I just wanted to jump up and hug her after she was done! Instead she hugged me so tight and it was the best feeling ever! 
Thank you to Ms. Clara who did a few lessons with Marlie this year.  Oh how Marlie loves Ms. Clara! I think she's right up there with Taylor Swift!
 Marlie we can't wait to watch you again next year! You are our Tiny Dancer!

1 comment:

Sarah K - Sentiments by Sarah said...

she is a FANTASTIC dancer - way to point those toes Marlie!! It takes so much time and I know your weekends are already crazy, but that girl needs to be on a competitive team so she can shine more than one weekend a year.