Monday, August 13, 2012

Cheer Camp

Marlie's friend Katie asked if Marlie would go with her to a 2 day cheer camp led by the Kingwood High School varsity team.  I was excited because Marlie is typically too young for camps so this was perfect!

The girls were a bit nervous the first day but got right up in the mix.  They learned a few cheers and a dance.  I was surprised how well they were able to follow. 

The next day Marlie was excited to wear her KHS shirt so we took a few pics before the girls were off for day 2.
 They met a lot of new friends and enjoyed performing for everyone at the end of the day.  Marlie was excited to be a "flyer"!
I knew at the end that they were going to select a few girl's names from a hat and they would get to cheer at a game during the year.  I didn't mention it to Marlie but she came home the first day excited about it.  Her friend Katie was the first name they pulled out of the bag and I saw Marlie's face as she sat and waited.  She was not one of the names chosen and she cried hysterically.  Big tears, couldn't breathe, crying.  I had no idea she would even care and although I didn't really either, it completely broke my heart.  Marlie told me she was going to talk to the coach and ask him if she could cheer at the game.  I had to explain that she couldn't.  Finally these 2 girls came over to see what was wrong and told her they would take a picture with her.  She managed a sweet smile. 
This small and very insignificant incident scares the crap out of me.  What happens next time when she doesn't make a team or does poorly on a test.  Or a silly boy she's in love with breaks her heart? I guess this is God's way of preparing both of us.  I will have to keep praying lots that he will guide her and protect her.  

No comments: