Sunday, August 28, 2011

Matt's First Day of (Public) School

Matt and I enjoyed a week together of hanging out while Marlie was in school and he had not started.  We surprised Marlie on Friday and brought Chick-fil-A and had lunch with her.  She was so excited.  As we were walking with her back to her classroom we saw the first grade class in the hallway.  Everyone's eyes lit up when they saw Matt.  And then his friend Sean said "Matt we miss you!".  It broke my heart.  So on the way home I asked if he wished he were still at SMMCS and he said no.  I asked if he was excited about going to Fall Creek Elementary and he said no.  He said "Mom I just want to go to school with Caden". 

I've talked to Caden's Mom and Samuel's Mom and the 3 boys are all off to a rough start this year.  These boys have always been excited about school but miss their friends.  Doug and I are also struggling with our decision to move to public school.  We know so many parents that love Fall Creek Elementary so we are going to give it a try.  We have been so impressed with the principal, the teachers and how organized the school is.  The school is beautiful and they have a lot of technology that SMMCS doesn't have. 

The really good news is that Matt has the BEST Kinder teacher - Mrs. Grady.  God seems to bless Matt with great teachers and I'm so thankful.  He doesn't know many people in his class but he is making friends.  By Thursday he came home with a smile on his face so each day is getting better.  He's learning the routine and Matt loves structure so that helps. 

He was so nervous on the first day and Doug and I were too. But he kept that amazingly gorgeous smile on his face!
Thank you God for Mrs. Grady!!! 

1 comment:

Sarah K - Sentiments by Sarah said...

I hope all the boys are doing ok at school. I thought SMMCS was a good school, but the school the girls are in now is just amazing because they do a great job at raising money (their tuition is double though - but I can see the difference everywhere). 1st grade is definitely a lot of work - dinner has to be done before I leave to go get them at 2:30 because we spend all evening doing homework it seems.