Sunday, March 22, 2009

It's Rodeo Time

Matt spent Spring Break in SA with Gram and had a wonderful time! He came back just in time for us to catch the last day of the Rodeo! We started off great.....of course Matt wanted to ride the horses...surprise, surprise... and the moment he was in the saddle it was all smiles.

But I wasn't sure if Marlie was ready for this given last time she kicked and screamed and I could not get her near that sweet pony. But we tried...she had me in the death grip until I forced her to sit on the horse. I wasn't giving up this time. She got on...

Then to my surprise I saw a smile on her face!! I held her hand and we started riding...
And before you know it I put both of her hands on the saddle, let go and there she was!!! Riding like a real cowgirl!!! After she got off the horse she was SO proud of herself. She kept saying "I ride horse" like she was the first person on the planet who had ever done such a thing!!!
We could have gone home at this point and the kids would have been happy. But after the 45 minute drive, $12 parking fee and $20 entrance fee we decided we were getting our monies worth out of this rodeo!!! No matter what happens we WILL have fun! We went to the pig races and the kids loved it. Marlie kept saying "more pigs". Then we learned about farming and the kids had a great time being farmers. They actually did really well although I don't think they really understood the concept.
Matt and Dad decided to take a ride down the slide. Matt was furious when he got to the bottom that he wasn't first. Oh boy....please don't let him be one of "those" kids. Matt usually loves carousels but this one was fast and the ride lasted forever! I would say we got our monies worth except that Matt was crying (still not happy about being 2nd on the slide) and Marlie had me in the death grip again because she was scared.

So we decided maybe it was a good time for lunch. We came back and did a few more less "scary" rides. Marlie and I rode the bumble bee ride and she LOVED it. The kids got to ride on one ride together by themselves too. Matt held his sister tight the whole time. And then Dad got to ride with them!

In the end we had a really great time. And Marlie can't stop talking about how she rides horses now. She's trying SO hard to keep up with big brother!!! I hope next year to actually catch a show. One step at a time!

No comments: