Sunday, May 25, 2014

Spring Guitar Recital

This year has gone by way too fast!  Last Tuesday the kid's had their spring guitar recital.  As always I really look forward to this event.  The kids find time to practice during the year along with doing all their other activities and they work really hard at it. 

Of course their teacher, Kristi Houlton is just amazing.  Not only do I love to listen to her play but she is an amazing teacher.  Both kid's really like her and they have learned so much in such a short period of time. 

Marlie was first up at the recital.  She knew her songs well and I don't think she was nervous at all.  Those of you who follow this blog know she enjoys performing for people!  I love it because that was not my personality growing up and I'm SO glad she's not shy like I was. Wow does the world open up when you have confidence.  It's amazing.  Here she is playing Twinkle, Twinkle and Rocky Mountain High...
The next one was my favorite...partly because the kid's played together so I'm being fair by not picking one of their individual pieces...but honestly it was really good.  They practiced this a lot and just nailed it.  It's hard at this age to play with someone and listen to their music along with yours.  I love that they have the opportunity to play with each other.  Sometimes there are fights along the way but it's all worth it in the end!
And last but not least, Matt! Interesting when he first started guitar he was never nervous at guitar recitals.  But the last 2 he has been really nervous and hasn't performed as well as he practices.  This time he was really nervous (I don't think he looked up or even cracked a smile) but performed so well.  My favorite piece he played is Pendulum Waltz.  He does it beautifully with dynamics (music goes from loud to soft or vice versa) and doesn't stumble through this really long piece. I am really amazed! 
Ms. Kristi has some older students now (4th and 5th graders) and my kids really enjoy watching them play. Especially since they know most of them because they are older brothers/sisters of their friends.  Their favorite performance was by Ty would played and sung Count on Me by Bruno Mars.  I got in trouble for not recording it.  It was so cute...partly because Ty is just adorable and partly because he did so good.  For some reason I wanted to cry during his performance and I don't even know why?? 

The kids were excited when Kristi presented them with certificates and medals! I love this picture that my friend Karrie sent.  Matt & Jackson looking at their medals while their little sisters are excited about theirs too.  What a neat group of kids!
Kristi we can't thank you enough for your patience, kindness and for teaching our kids to play.  We are so lucky to have you in the neighborhood.  And the music you've brought into our school is wonderful too.  You have a special place in our hearts!

1 comment:

Sarah K - Sentiments by Sarah said...

I always, always enjoy reading your posts. Your kids are growing up to be such beautiful people and I mean that from what is coming from the inside, not their appearance. Always great reading about your adventures.