Sunday, January 5, 2014

Christmas Guitar Recital

So this year Marlie was a part of the Christmas Guitar Recital!  Mrs. Kristi had a few more students and it was fun to watch all of them play and a few sing! 

Matt and Marlie started the night with their Jingle Bells duet!  They did great but there was a good amount of fighting along the way during practice! Mostly Marlie trying to boss Matt around when she was really playing wrong notes.  It took awhile for Matt to learn that since he was accompanying her, he had to follow at her pace, or pick up if she missed a note.  It was a good learning experience for both of them and in the end it sounded really good. 
Marlie played "I See the Moon" and "Let us Chase the Squirrel".  She cannot play without singing and Mrs. Kristi really wanted her to just play so she played both and then sang after!  Worked perfectly.  This girl LOVES to sing!
Matt played "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" which was great.  The hard part is that he had to figure out the notes and write the music out.  So he didn't start with the sheet music but had to figure the entire song on his own!  Well, I helped a bit because this was a tough exercise and it wasn't super easy for me either.  Mrs. Kristi also taught Matt to play "Carol of the Bells" which is one of my favorite Christmas songs.  But it was SO hard!  He had to play multiple strings with both his right and left hands.  I didn't think he was going to be able to do it but he practiced really hard and pulled it off! I hate that in this video you can't see both of his hands.  I will do better next time. 
Marlie was excited that her favorite boy-friend Ty started guitar lessons and was also here.  Ty did great and I owe him for being so kind to take this pic with Marlie.  Ty is in 4th grade and is the brother of Matt's good friend Micah.  Ty is probably the sweetest 4th grade boy I know.  He is always smiling and is always so nice to all the younger kids. 
 We were thankful that Nene and Uncle Jay were here to cheer M&M on too!
 Thank you Mrs. Kristi for another great recital!  Already looking forward to the next one in May!



1 comment:

Sarah K - Sentiments by Sarah said...

When I see how well the kids are playing I wish we could find a guitar teacher like that here. The girls have given it up for now. I don't now how you have time for all their activities. We only do dance and tutoring and that's one night a week each and I feel that is PLENTY! Always good to read about the Maziers - your card was beautiful as always. Happy 2014!